Keep it Flying



Stephen R. Mallory Camp 1315

Sons of Confederate Veterans

P. O. Box 12933, Pensacola, Florida, 32591



Membership in the Sons of Confederate Veterans is open to all male descendents of any veteran who served honorably in the Confederate armed forces.  Membership can be obtained through either direct or collateral family lines and kinship to a veteran must be documented genealogically. Minimum age for membership is 12.

Proof of kinship to a Confederate soldier can take many forms.  The easiest method is to contact the state archives of the state from which the soldier fought and obtain a copy of the veteran's military service record.  All Southern states' archives have microfilm records of the soldiers who fought from that state, and a copy of the information can be obtained for a nominal fee. In addition, the former Confederate states awarded pensions to veterans and their widows.  All of these records contain a wealth of information that can be used to document military service.

The SCV has a network of genealogists to assist you in tracing you ancestor's Confederate service.


Memberships available:

Annual membership - includes Camp 1315, Florida Division and National memberships
National Life membership
Florida Division Life membership

Mallory Camp 1315 and Florida Division Legionnaire Membership.
(For those who support Southern Heritage and the Sons of Confederate Veterans, but cannot prove   kinship to a Confederate soldier.    note:  this is a non-voting membership)

Associate Memberships from other SCV Camps

 Ask About Corporate Sponsorships 

Contacts for Membership

Stephen R. Mallory Camp 1315 -  Any current member or any of the Camp OFFICERS
National and International membership - 1-800-MY-SOUTH  
Florida Division Recruiting Chairman -

Application Instructions

SCV Eligibility and Documentation

Membership in the Sons of Confederate Veterans is limited to male Lineal or Collateral descendants of those who served honorably in the Confederate armed forces.
Lineal – A direct blood descendant, e.g. great-grandfather, great-great-grandfather, etc.
Collateral – Not a direct descendant, but shares a common ancestor. e. g. great-uncle, great-great-uncle, etc. 

Kinship to a veteran must be documented genealogically. Applicants should submit an application form, along with a detailed genealogy describing your relationship to the veteran, and proof of his service. The Membership Application form and SCV Lineage Worksheet may be downloaded at (Click on Services; Forms and Documents) Proof of service may be a copy of the veteran’s war service record, or a pension (in some cases, the pension application) for the veteran or his widow. In some states, other family members were eligible for pensions based on the veteran’s service.

There are several resources to obtain proof of service and lineage: – Probably the most widely used site for service, census, and vital records. The most extensive and best quality of military records online. Both ancestry and footnote are available for an individual subscription fee.  They are provided free at the West Florida Genealogical Library and Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
State Archives of the state from which the soldier fought. All Southern states’ archives have microfilm records of the soldiers who fought in units from that state, and a copy of the information may be obtained for a nominal fee. In addition, the former Confederate states awarded pensions to veterans and their widows. The state archives are the most costly and time consuming to obtain records.
West Florida Genealogical Library – 5740 N. Ninth Ave., Pensacola State College Campus, Pensacola   850-494-7373. Tue-Sat 10 am – 6 pm, Closed Sun-Mon. For assistance on your research, the library has a comprehensive genealogical collection, and a knowledgeable and helpful staff. There are usually several volunteers from the West Florida Genealogical Society on hand to assist you also.
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints – 9490 Foxrun Rd., Pensacola (Off Nine Mile Road) 850-477-4512.  Call first, as the hours of operation and days vary. The facility has a wealth of genealogical information. Many records are on hand, and they have online access to the main facility in Salt Lake City, UT, and many other research sites. If records need to be ordered, there is a very small fee to cover shipping. Their staff is very knowledgeable and helpful.
Camp Genealogist – For questions and further assistance from the Camp Genealogist, contact your sponsor or any member, or go to the camp website for his contact information.

(Please note that finding someone listed in the Broadfoot Roster with the same name as your ancestor does not constitute proof (John Jones from Tennessee). You must use accepted standards of genealogical research to demonstrate that the two men are, in fact, the same.)

Once your ancestor's service has been proven, you must now document his child, grandchild, etc. down to yourself. This can be done through census reports, birth, marriage, death certificates, and wills. Ancestry has excellent census reports. They also have some of the other records, but for most birth, marriage, and death records and wills, you will have to go through the individual state Vital Records. The addresses and costs, usually $15-$25, can be obtained online.  When sending for any vital records, always use a money order or cashier's check to expedite the process. It is also recommended you send a statement of who you are, how you are related to the individual whose record you are requesting, and the purpose, e.g. genealogical research, and a copy of at least one form of identification with a picture.

Census reports show your ancestor and usually his spouse, and his children. Since all family names appeared beginning in the 1850 census, your line of ancestors can usually be traced in this manner.  However, families often moved to different counties and states, so it is sometimes difficult to find families from one census to another. (The 1890 Census was 95% destroyed - there are extremely limited records for this year. The last published census is 1930. The 1940 census will be released in early 2012.) This is where vital records are helpful. Birth and Death Certificates usually show parents of the individual. Some Marriage Certificates and Applications also show parents. Wills contain the names of children and often their spouses and grandchildren.  Before sending for these records, check to see if they are published online. Some states, such as North Carolina, publish online (free) Death Certificates after 1912.  Other states, such as Virginia, have no vital records from 1896 - 1912. There was just no state requirement for them. In some cases, individual counties in Virginia kept their own records during this period, so you should check with the county courthouse for those years.

All of these resources can be useful in documenting your family line to your Confederate Soldier. A copy of each document must be submitted with the application. When downloading census reports, you can usually download a blank census form to be filled in with your data. It will assist the Camp Genealogist in reviewing your documentation if you include the image number e.g. Image 12 of 62, for most documents from  Remember to black out any social security numbers if these documents are used.

Mail your application, supporting documents, and check or money order to:

SCV Camp 1315
P.O. Box 12933
Pensacola, FL 32591

Membership dues include the total of International, Division and Camp dues:
IHQ Annual Dues……………....$30.00
IHQ Registration (one time)…........$5.00
Florida Division Annual Dues…....$15.00
Camp Annual Dues…………..…$12.00
Total……………………………$62.00 (With Application; Subsequent - $57 annual)

Upon approval, you will receive a small certificate and an annual subscription to the Confederate Veteran, our high quality, informative magazine. You may also want to purchase some of the following items, which may be done with the original application:
Large Lapel Pin………………...........................$6.00*
Small Lapel Pin…………………………………$5.00
Supplemental Ancestor & Large Certificates..…$10.00*
Small Replacement Certificate………………..…$5.00
*Most often requested

Once confirmed, you will be sworn in at the next camp meeting. You will then have the option of becoming a Life Member. Life members do not pay annual National dues. Dues are as follows:
$750.00   age 12 – 64
$375.00   age 65 – 79
$187.50   age 80+
A conditional Life Member payment plan is available in five installments.

National website:
Florida Division:
Camp 1315:  









Stephen R. Mallory Camp 1315
Sons of Confederate Veterans, Inc.