Do you know your ancestor?  
Here are some resources to search him out:

Service Records:

National Parks Database - search on-line by name, state, unit, etc.  Based on the National Archives Database

Broadfoot Publishing - let them do the searching for you. Also, obtain ancestor's National Archives Service Record here.

Florida Index (CSA & USA)

State Pension Applications:

Valuable resource.  Awarded by individual States after the War.  These provide unit info and sometimes service record.  Also many include genealogical info, particularly widow pension, i.e. birth, death and marriage dates, children and some personal info like physical characteristics and injuries incurred.

States with on-line index listed below:
Arkansas - order form only

- complete on line with images
Georgia - some counties on line with images
Kentucky - order form only - check "Index of Confederate Pension Applications, Commonwealth of KY" this volume at downtown Tampa John Germany public library

- call or write
South Carolina
Tennessee - index only no images

Broadfoot Publishing also has some pension records and can be ordered in a package with the service record.

Additional Resources:

Maryland rosters

Kentucky rosters


YOUR PEDIGREE - Have a Tampa/Hillsborough Library Card?  Access , Heritage Quest, and more FOR FREE! - Mormon Church excellent free database to find clues - another excellent free database to find clues - Excellent source - but some documents are accessible by subscription only. - Excellent source - must subscribe